Apple Software manifest

(imported topic written by blaine91)

Last week it looks like Apple released DST patches for 10.4.8 and 10.3.9. The time zone information for the US and Canada change in DST are available in 10.4.5 and later. This patch for Tiger evidently includes DST updates for other countries as well. The Panther patch is the first I’ve seen. I haven’t seen them in the Patches for Mac OS X site yet. Are they coming?

In the meantime, I’m trying to write our own. I have no problem writing the action part, I’m having problems with the relevance part. Is there a tool or piece of software that will essentially compare snapshots before and after a piece of software has been installed? I’ve looked in /Library/Receipts, but that only gives the files installed. It doesn’t list anything about the plists or CFBundleVersion changes that seem to be the most common way of checking relevance. Someone suggested Radmind to me, but I’m hoping to find something that doesn’t have as much overhead or learning curve.

Blaine

(imported comment written by jessewk)

I often us Pacifist (http://www.charlessoft.com/). Pacifist will show the contents of a .pkg file, including all files that will be replaced and where they will go. You can use it to compare the currently installed versions to what will happen after applying the update.

-Jesse

(imported comment written by blaine91)

Jesse,

I’ll take a look at Pacifist. Is that what you guys use to come up with the relevances for the Mac OS X site fixlets? It seems there is less documentation from Apple than Microsoft about what’s in their patches. Or am I just not digging deep enough on Apple’s site?

Blaine

(imported comment written by jessewk)

Blane,

We do use pacifist from time to time. We also have a script that parses the BundleVersion.plist file located in the Resources directory of the package. The BundleVersions.plist will show you the post-update version for any files that will be updated.

-Jesse