Analysis for reboot time after patch installation

Hi all,

After complaints from users, we want to know how long it takes to reboot after installation of patches.

I want to created an analysis that gives me the time it takes to reboot when the user initiates the reboot after the installation of patches.
We can read the eventlogs to see when the computer is booted.
But is there relevance language available to see when the user initiates the reboot?

Thanks in advance,

Wouter

I just saw that Bigfix creates a event ID when the user initiates the reboot. So this basically answers my question.

Does anyone know which event I can you to see that the computer has reached the login screen?

I don’t have a great answer but you could just check for the Group Policy log entry corresponding to completion of group policy processing on startup – that should give you a good idea of the total time!

1 Like

One way to help with this issue is to not require the users to reboot right away. Set a deadline of 12 hours and allow them to do the reboot at the end of the day.

It sounds like you are asking how to measure the normal windows boot time, which does not necessarily have to do with BigFix itself.

• Do these machines have SSDs or HDDs?
  • Are they on a domain?

There are some tools out there that you can run to measure boot/reboot times. One of them is MaaS360 Boot Analyzer.

You should also be able to look at events in the Windows Event log to see the point at which the machine gets the reboot command and the time it comes back up and measure the difference. This is technically possible to do in relevance, but it is very slow to examine the windows event log and is better done through a task.

Related:

Also, based on the patches you applied before rebooting, the reboot time may be impacted as the OS replaces/updates files that were in use at the time the patch was installed.

@jgstew
The machines have SSDs and are domain joined.

I’ve made some progress. Windows logs events to the Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational log when the shutdown/boot time exceeds standard values.
Event ID 200 is logged for shutdown and Event ID 100 for boot and they both have a duration value.

What I would like to do now is to read the duration value from these events after the event that the user has initiated the reboot, add them and create a total reboot time property on which I can report on.

1 Like

You might be able to do this for the most recent reboot or something like that, but it is very difficult to read from the event logs in an efficient way using relevance directly.

It would be much easier if you could have an action that would run an the target systems once a day or something like that to put the results into a file and read that file with relevance.