Agent Greyed out/not communicating with BigFix Server

Hi Guys,

Just like to check if anyone got any idea on my issues? What happened was our DB BFEnterprise was corrupted and we were unable to get into our BigFix Console and our Inventory was playing up.

After we manage to fixed the database. We were able to get everything up and running… except the Agents and Relay. Everything in our computer list is greyed out and not communicating with the BF Server. We try to check what is going on with the guidance from the forum group.

We ran a health check and found out all our computers is not reporting for over 3 hours and more.
We try http://127.0.0.1:52311/relaydiagnos and found that the relay is overloaded.
We stop any Open task that is running and still no luck
We rebooted the servers and check all the services and all is running.

Any Ideas will be very helpful.

It is time to open a support incident. Write down everything you did to fix the root server, what the original problem was, and be sure to keep a set of your backups media handy.

Depending on how long the system was down, the scale of the environment, and the performance of the BigFix Server, it might take some time for everything to catch up. If Client reports are in fact being processed, and appearing in the Console, it is likely a question of the BigFix Server processing the backlog of Client reports. One thing that can help here is to reduce activity for a period of time, and even consider temporarily increasing the Client’s minimum report interval (_besclient_report_minimuminterval - see https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/Tivoli%20Endpoint%20Manager/page/Configuration%20Settings for more details). Once the Relay is no longer ‘overloaded’ (i.e. the bufferdir is no longer full) for a period of time, you can reset the Client’s minimum report interval back to its original value.

1 Like

Hi Aram, Thanks for your suggestion, will try looking into it. I think your suggestion is very useful.

Yes Jason, I already open an incident ticket to IBM. They said my DB seems to have issues since the start of the year. So I guess this was building up all this while until it cease to function.

Ok good, the support team should be able to help with your configuration.

I would guess that a problem could occur with your server or database recovery, like maybe you have new keys or masthead now, or the database is not properly signed.

I’m sure support is doing this with you now, but first places I would check are the filldb log on the server, relay log on the server, then relay log on top-level relay and client log.

Please keep us posted on what you find, in case this is helpful to anyone else.

Hi Jason,

We worked with IBM Support and finally able to sort out the problem with the agents not communicating with the Root Servers. Appears that our Database was badly corrupted. We have to perform a restore and then repaired the Database from there.

It was working again for a few hours then down again. We then have to turn off the inventory and query server and then perform a repair again on the Database.

After 1 week the servers is a lot stable. IBM Support indicated that it maybe one of our action task which have over 100 items inside which may cause a problem. So we clear all older task and keep the server maintain from there.

Thanks for your guys guidance :slight_smile:

1 Like