Advanced Mode for those of us switching between WebUI & WinConsole

We are definitely excited by the fact that the WebUI will have a simpler experience and open up BigFix to many more operators and different types of operators.

That said, I think there are many of us that will be going between the windows console and the WebUI for a very long time, particularly in the case of operators that are more advanced, which will probably be the minority of the total, but still an important part.

I bring this up to say that it would almost be nice if the WebUI had almost a different language translation for those that are going to switch between the WebUI and the Windows Console. The WebUI tries to simplify things and use terminology that is not used in the Windows Console for the same item. This is kind of annoying and painful if you are going to spend your time switching between them. It would be interesting if the WebUI had an “advanced” mode that stuck to the terminology of the Windows Console much more closely.

In a similar way, while I think it isn’t a great choice for a simplified UI, I think it would be interesting if the WebUI had an option to present options in a way that more closely matches the Windows Console in terms of controls and layout. The specific example I’m thinking of is with the “Take Action” dialog in the Windows Console. It would be interesting if there were an option in the WebUI that had a view that somewhat closely matched the “Take Action” dialog in the Windows console for those of us that use both, as well as for the sake of shared documentation.

Totally agree! Valuable, but insufficient…

It is a painful transition, and while the new layout makes a ton of sense for a certain audience, it is a major break with what the advanced community is familiar with. I would love an option to toggle to that view. They could even associate that capability with Roles if the organization didn’t want so much available to overwhelm a junior admin.

1 Like

I was definitely thinking of something similar.

The WebUI presents a unique challenge to training new users. Need twice the training, twice the documentation, twice the guides and resources.

If a user asks me how to do something in the WebUI, I have no idea and will probably have to fumble through it until I figure it out.

1 Like

you have probably already gone there, but open an RFE for this now. Get it on the Product Planners desk.
Get everyone you know to upvote it, then it is a better bet for a future release…still not 100% sure but definitely better than not having it on the user wish list in the first place!

2 Likes

So I know I’m coming into this conversation a bit late here, but for organizations already making use of the Win Console do we automatically have access to the WebUI or is this something that requires a registration process to gain access to. I’d like to begin to familiarize myself with it if possible is why I’m asking.

1 Like

The main thing that it requires is that you be running a fairly recent version of BigFix… 9.5.?? ( I think 9.5.2+ )

You may need to have a certain level of licensing to get the WebUI but I think it is available to everyone at any licensing level.

Until the most recent release the WebUI had to be installed on the root server itself, but it is now possible to install it on a different server, which is a good idea for production use for security and scalability.

Thanks for quick response, is the goal then to eliminate the Windows TEM Console all-together eventually and only offering the WebUI version of Bigfix or is that not likely to happen?