Adding Computers to Manual Group in Task

I am running two actions from OSD with each targeting separate manual groups and a customized one to add and remove computers to groups to better control deployment. The action is working fine as it is reported under the computer properties and proceeding to the next action if successful but the devices do not appear added or removed from the groups even after reboots. Below are the commands used which are the ones generated when manually adding or removing computers from a group. Am I missing something to have them also show and be removed from the groups?

setting “__Group_0_Windows 10_Upgrade Only”=“True” on “{now}” for client
setting delete “__Group_0_Windows 10_Check Only” on “{now}” for client

I can’t use baselines because I need to slightly modify the action scripts before running the action and completing all the parameters the in-place upgrades tasks require. Copying them places them in a new site and breaks the task as it references other data in OSD.

I believe both Manual and Automatic groups are created with their own relevance when you create or modify the groups in the Console. Just changing the setting on the client is not enough to make it a member of the group, because the group’s own relevance should reset the client to “not relevant” for the group.

Instead, you might consider making the group an Automatic Group based on a client setting, and toggle the value of that client setting (or a registry value, or presence of a file, etc.)

Hey Jason,

Thank you for your suggestions. I was trying to avoid the setting but using it in an automatic group relevance would be the same thing. I guess it was late yesterday and my brain wasn’t working.

I was going to make the changes this morning and noticed a setting I’ve only used once for manual groups. If I change how Group Membership is determined, it seems to accomplish what I needed based on the client setting. The groups both initially cleared out when I made the change but are now populating correctly. I will see how this updates on newly added devices or otherwise switch to fully automatic groups. The actions are already running so it would be best to leave them as is if this works. Thanks again!