Actions getting constrained when they shouldn't be

(imported topic written by murtasma91)

I have a policy action setup that whose target is defined as a special retrieved property created by me. There is also another custom retrieved property I have created that is used to exclude machines from the policy. The exclusion property just looks for a text file in the BigFix client installation directory (this file can be set to true or false).

I have enabled the “Run only when” constraint for the action and selected the custom property I created (power-exclusion) contains false. When this action is run on a machine it keeps returning constrained. I have verified that the text file is present and set to false. The retrieved property also reports back false.

I have also tried to configure the restraint to say

Run only when power-exclusion does not contain true but clients report back constrained as well even when the property is set to false.

Any idea why this is happening? Am I configuring something wrong?

(imported comment written by Bill.Ehardt)

I noticed we had something wierd when we had a “= True” instead of “matches true”, don’t know if its the same situation

(imported comment written by murtasma91)

I tried matches but with no sucess :frowning:

Here is what I have tried so far

matches

containes

does not match

does not contain

all result in the action getting constrained when it shouldn’t be

add ='s to the list as well. I’m running out of idea’s I think I’ll have to open a support case for this.

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Can you export and attach the action?

Ben

here

Does the property result return “false” or “False”?

Ben

false

here is a screen shot of the results with the properties displayed

I guess I am not sure… you probably should contact support…

I actually have a case open with support as we speak. Still haven’t heard back since I gave them a copy of the action as well as some other detailed information. If we can’t figure out a resolution to this how else could I exclude workstations from this action? Perhaps the use of an automatic group that is based off that retreived property?

As a workaround in the short-term, you might make a property that contains the relevance that you want and target by that…

Ben