Action stuck in "OPEN" state past Expiration Date!

(imported topic written by Tim.Rice)

I’ve used IEM/BigFix for a long time, but this is a first for me.

One of my Console Operators created an Action from a Baseline on 6/11/2014 @ 6:22:34 pm. The action was configured to expire on 6/30/2014 @ 10:00 am.

As I type this message, it is 6/30/2014 @ 3:14pm, but the Action is still showing that it is in the OPEN state (see attached image).

I realize that we can simply ‘Stop’ the action, but I’m wondering HOW/WHY this happened so we can avoid it in the future.

I am assuming that no clients will act upon the OPEN (but expired) action once they begin to evaluate it.

Can someone explain what process/procedure flags an Action as ‘Expired’ in the Console? Does the server perform any sweeps of the database to update the State? Does a client report the Action as Expired to the Server? Is the Console supposed to determine the State to display???

(imported comment written by Tim.Rice)

I’ve tried clearing my Cache thinking it might have been corrupted without the Console realizing it. But no luck.

(imported comment written by SteveHull)

Hi Tim,

The action will change to Expired later today, and this is intended behavior. The Server/Console will not show an action as Expired until the end time has passed in the last timezone (UTC-12:00). This is because the server doesn’t know which endpoints will end up being relevant for an action and/or what timezone that endpoint might end up being in. You are correct that an individual endpoint will still view the action as Expired if the time is passed in its timezone, but the Console will only show expired once its sure the time has passed for all possible endpoints.

Regards,

Steve