Action: Designate NMAP Scan Point

(imported topic written by jford91)

I ran this action on the first BES client server installed on a given network segment, and then within a few minutes of the action successfully completing, the besclient.exe process spontaneously rebooted the server. Twice. Weird. Disconcerting, to say the least… because I definitely did not tell it to reboot the server after the action was completed. Yikes.

BES clients deployed are all newest/7.1. Same for server side.

Since the second reboot (9 minutes after the first spontaneous one, and both USER32 events the same—pointing to besclient.exe on behalf of SYSTEM), there have been no others. Yet.

Has anyone ever seen the BES client reboot a server or workstation when you definitely didn’t opt for a reboot after a given action?

Event Type: Information

Event Source: USER32

Event Category: None

Event ID: 1074

Date: 1/22/2009

Time: 7:16:19 PM

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: SERVERXYZ

Description:

The process BESClient.exe has initiated the restart of computer NJ-CDEV-1 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Reason Code: 0x0

Shutdown Type: restart

Comment:

(imported comment written by BenKus)

Hey jford,

Definitely strange… I haven’t heard of this before…

But I suggest we check it out and see if we can explain it to make everyone feel more comfortable… Contact support and they will look through your agent log and actions (you can send them a BES Diagnostic output) and we will see what we can find…

Ben

(imported comment written by jford91)

Will do… and will advise on any findings.

(imported comment written by jford91)

This turned out to be a ‘retroactive’ Action lurking, and when the new BES clients were put on the network, they got zapped accordingly. Sorry all, learning… :slight_smile: