9.5.10 Pre Upgrade Check fails

Have you gotten a response from support?

We have been back and forth and supplying log files and screenshots. The support tech has tested in his environment and no problems. One thing he noted today if I supplied DB credentials which I did. In his test environment he did not, so I’m going to try without DB creds. But my issue as I explained to him a few times is the log shows all steps completed successfully it just fails on creating the .err log file, also my installation is not on C:\ with default path. It’s installed on D:\program files\ instead so not sure if it has anything to do with it.

well that didn’t work either, failed with the same message.
Command failed (Move of ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out’ to ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade-9.5.10.out’ failed (2 - File error “class FileNotFoundError” on “D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out” : “Windows Error 0x2%: The system cannot find the file specified.”)) move (action:8038)
At 08:48:11 -0500 -

Tech support is having difficulties finding the issue. They don’t have or receive any errors when they run the fixlet. I pointed out that my DB is remote SQL and service account has DB_Owner rights but the tech support setup is default path c:\program files\ and local DB. My install is on D:\program files\ same dir structure but not drive so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Or, if my remote DB has anything to do with it.
I tried to run using the command: besadmin.exe /preupgrade /standalone but it requires SA creds to the remote DB which SQL team will not input. I don’t even have the option to try domain\serviceaccount and password. So at this point i’m stuck.

Checking the fixlet, it’s possible to send specific credentials to the BESAdmin.exe /preupgrade:

BESAdmin.exe /username={parameter "secret1" of action} /password={parameter "secret2" of action} /preupgrade /standalone

When sending the task action, did you fill in credentials (on the “Description” tab’s form)?

Is the BES Root Server running using and account other than LocalSystem? Fixlet 3484 “Updated Windows Server/Console Components - Manual Upgrade Required - IBM BigFix version 9.5.10” indicates a manual upgrade would be required in that case; I’m not sure whether the preupgrade check would work either. Also, Remote DB isn’t mentioned in the description, but the Relevance indicates the manual upgrade might be required if UseRemoteDB is set. There’s also no mention of DSA, but I’ve always upgraded manually in my DSA configuration.

1 Like

The fixlet ‘Pre Upgrade Check’ works downloading some stuff under the following folder

BES Client\__BESData\BES Support\__Local\PreCheck

then attempting to run the exec under that directory ( is nothing else than the 9.1 patch 10 admin tool )
using the credential of the agent ( the user in the LogOn tab among the service properties )

To check if this exec runs successfully could be checked the log file that, if the agent is running as local system account ( the default ), is:

C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt

or the following one if it runs with the ‘userlogin’ account instead:

C:\Users\<userlogin>\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt

On Linux the log file is the following instead ( independently the user running the tool ):
/var/log/BESAdminDebugOut.txt

If for such reason the admin tool does not run with success, the file preugprade.out is never created, so any attempt to rename it as preupgrade-9.5.10.out or preupgrade-9.5.10.err will fail.

Common reasons the attempt to run this exec can fail could be because

• the download of this exec or related libraries has failed
  • the user the agent is running have no enough privileges to connect to the database
  • the user the agent is running have no privileges to create a file in the BES Server directory
  • on Linux the user the agent is running have no exec privileges in the PreCheck folder

and so on …

The user/password option fields the fixlet provide make sense just in case of sql authentication, otherwise they are not taken in count.

At now it is not clear if have the server installed on a drive different from C: on Windows can be a problem, in any case the installDir parameter is evaluated with the following relevance expression ( could be double checked with the fixlet debugger ):

parent folder of file of main gather service

2 Likes

Yes, I tried running the fixlet with filling in the credentials to remote sql. I don’t have SA access to the DB but we use a domain\service account which has DB_Owner. The sql team will not input the SA password. I do see errors in the BESAdminDebugOut log file:
11044 – There was an error connecting to the database. Check that you have sufficient database privileges:
Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘sa’. (28000: 18,456)

Strangely this error is logged even if I supply the domain\service account and password in the fixlet description.

I have no idea how to use the fixlet debugger so not sure about that one.

I tried running this but nothing happens

BESAdmin.exe /username={parameter “secret1” of action} /password={parameter “secret2” of action} /preupgrade /standalone

1 Like

This confirm there’s a problem connecting to the database … that should be because the ‘local system user’ used to run the agent service is not part of the domain or have not enough privileged to access to the database

A valid Windows user is the LogOn user with which run the server and the filldb services if they successfully connect to the remote database … or that with which the admin tool under BES Server folder connect successfully to the remote database …

If none of these options work, better involve the support team for a deeper analysis …

1 Like

I’d like to open this thread back up for discussion. We still have the same issue where the 9.5.10 Pre Upgrade Check fails, and now even the 9.5.11 Pre Upgrade Check fails… with the exact same error.

Just to refresh memories, the errors are as follows (for 9.5.10 and 9.5.11):

Error from Log when running the Pre Upgrade Check Version 9.5.10:

At 08:09:10 -0600 - actionsite (http://rootserver.com:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)
Command failed (Move of ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out’ to ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade-9.5.10.out’ failed (2 - File error “class FileNotFoundError” on “D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out” : “Windows Error 0x2%: The system cannot find the file specified.”)) move (action:30505)

Error from Log when running the Pre Upgrade Check Version 9.5.11:

At 08:27:45 -0600 - actionsite (http://rootserver.com:52311/cgi-bin/bfgather.exe/actionsite)
Command failed (Move of ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out’ to ‘D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade-9.5.11.out’ failed (2 - File error “class FileNotFoundError” on “D:\Program Files\BigFix Enterprise\BES Server\preupgrade.out” : “Windows Error 0x2%: The system cannot find the file specified.”)) move (action:30506)

I get these errors whether I provide a valid DB login and password or leave it empty.

We do use a remote SQL database.

Obviously the preupgrade.out file is not getting created, but why not?

Anyone else have this problem? Has anyone solved this problem? I do have a case opened with support. If/when I get an answer I’ll update this forum.

Thanks,
Eric

Check the BESAdminDebugOut.txt file as mentioned a couple posts up to see what errors you are encountering: 9.5.10 Pre Upgrade Check fails

Thanks for the reply, Steve.

You’re correct, the C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\BigFix\BESAdminDebugOut.txt logfile has good information in it:

Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Admin tool version 9.5.10.79
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Lang option specified:
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Entering CBFEAdminApp::DoPreUpgrade…
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Check buffer directory.
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Check Non ASCII Site Files
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘user’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – There was an error connecting to the database. Check that you have sufficient database privileges:
Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘user’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:08:59 -0600 – 6160 – Exit Admin Tool …

Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Admin tool version 9.5.11.191
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Lang option specified:
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Entering CBFEAdminApp::DoPreUpgrade…
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Check buffer directory.
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Check Non ASCII Site Files
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘user’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – There was an error connecting to the database. Check that you have sufficient database privileges:
Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘user’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:27:34 -0600 – 5640 – Exit Admin Tool …

Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Admin tool version 9.5.11.191
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Lang option specified:
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Entering CBFEAdminApp::DoPreUpgrade…
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Check buffer directory.
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Check Non ASCII Site Files
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘sa’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – There was an error connecting to the database. Check that you have sufficient database privileges:
Database Error: [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘sa’. (28000: 18,456)
Fri, 08 Mar 2019 08:45:05 -0600 – 13452 – Exit Admin Tool …

I also worked with Support and we came to the conclusion that this issue needs to be escalated to Engineering. We verified I am using a valid login and password which has access to the database, however, the Fixlet is unable to connect to the database with the credentials I supply. When I provide the svc account to the Fixlet, it should make a connection to the database. The database is remote and that may be causing the issue. When I do not provide any credentials to the Fixlet, it defaults to ‘sa’ which I do not have the password and I know it’s not the default password, therefore I understand why the Fixlet fails without credentials.

When I get information back from support, I’ll provide an update to this thread.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Hello, just throwing in my 2 cents. This fails for me also, but, the failing credentials contain the local hostname and not a User account of any kind. Even when I specify the valid User name and password in the optional fields this fixlet fails to create the output files.

1 Like

I had the same issue with the check for 9.5.12. Running the command manually with the sa user and password added, resulted in the creation of the preupgrade.out file.
Then, when I ran the fixlet - it ran successfully.
But, it turns out the result was the file created manually - and in fact the fixlet itself only used the result from the manual run to create the final preupgrade-9.5.12.out file.
So, this was more of a circumvetion than a resolution of the problem.
Also worth noting: My environment (Windows) have the BigFix client installed on the C-drive, while BigFix (and ILMT) is installed on the E-drive. This could seem to be a common factor, based on the messages above…

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, folks. Good stuff to know.

UPDATE: IBM Support is working with Development who has acknowledged if you use a password with certain special characters then login failures will occur when using the Pre-Upgrade Check Fixlets. They are working on a fix, but no ETA as of yet. I’ll update this post when I get more info.

I’d be curious to know if any of you who are having login failures when running these Pre-Upgrade Check Fixlets are using a password with special characters like ?, ^, or =. If so, try changing your password to something without special characters and see if that resolves your login issues.

As a reminder, I’m talking about the login and password you provide the Fixlet to connect to the Database.

4 Likes

BigFix Support confirmed that the fix will be inside the BES support content, so we will need to perform a gather of the site. No ETA yet on the release, but an APAR has been created (IJ15144) for the issue.

Still curious if anyone who had the same problem as me (Pre-Upgrade Check Fixlets failing) was able to simply change their password eliminating special characters, and get the Fixlets to work.

B.Power - Curious to know if you have special characters like ?, ^, or = in your password? If so, did you try changing the password to something without those special characters, and re-run the fixlet with your new password? I’d like to know if removing the special characters from your password solves your problem.

Thanks!

Here’s a link to the issue in case anyone is interested in following:

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/entdocview.wss?uid=swg1IJ15144

Hi Eric,

Yes, our Security policies require special characters and the password is “vaulted” using a password management utility. Given those factors, it’s not feasible for me to define a password containing no special characters.

Bart

In that case you may need to run the upgrade manually rather than using the fixlet method.

I already have to upgrade manually anyway because the database is on a Remote server. Are you saying that I may have to run the pre-upgrade check manually?