9.2.5 client issue with "start type of services" inspector

Immediately after upgrading a set of test clients on Win7 x64 from BES client 9.2.1.48 to 9.2.5.130 I’m having issues with a number of my fixlets dealing with services configuration. In using the Fixlet Debugger, I’m finding that the 9.2.5 client is not giving a result for the “start type of service” inspector when using Local Client evaluation mode. Example:

9.2.1.48:

q: (service names of it, (if exists start type of it then start type of it else error "notfound"))of services 

A: ActivIdentity Shared Store Service, auto
A: AdobeARMservice, auto
A: AeLookupSvc, demand
A: ALG, demand

9.2.5.130:

q: (service names of it, (if exists start type of it then start type of it else error "notfound"))of services 

E: User-defined error: notfound

If I take the “start type of it” out of the properties to query, I can get a list of service names. Has anyone else seen this? I’ve not yet upgraded any relays or BES Servers but I can’t imagine that would cause a problem in evaluation at the client level.

I’m seeing this on all 20 or so clients that I’ve upgraded.

I’ve also submitted PMR 81538,004,000 for this but I wanted to see whether any of you are seeing this issue?

1 Like

I can see that 9.2.5.130 definitely touched the “service” inspector, with the addition of the "pid of <service>" property.

Reply from IBM Support is that there’s already an APAR on this - IV76004.

That APAR notes the problem in QnA, but does not mention that this is actually a problem in the client that will cause Fixlets to evaluate incorrectly.

Does anyone have an estimate on when this would be corrected? Or considered putting a warning on the 9.2.5 upgrade fixlet, maybe removing its Default Action due to known issues?

1 Like

I was just notified today that some of our security checks in our HIPAA checklist analysis are failing due to this “start type of services” property not working. We’re running v9.2.5.130 clients. It’s definitely broken in the Windows client and not just QnA.

1 Like

We upgraded our infrastructure to 9.2.5 but did not upgrade our windows clients for this reason.

IBM probably should have pulled the Windows client upgrade tasks or make it so that they are only relevant on Windows 10 machines since it fixes an issue with Windows 10.

The biggest issue with this bug is that it would affect open policy actions deployed by group or policy. You could suddenly have these actions trying to do stuff on computers that it should not.

See this related post:

1 Like

The APAR should be addressed in the next patch ( as I just worked on it )

2 Likes

Thanks, I like to think I see most of what gets posted here, but I totally missed that one.

1 Like